Research We Support
Thanks to your support, The Parkinson Alliance funds outstanding scientists at the forefront of Parkinson’s disease research at leading centers. We award grants on a selected basis to major research institutions and partner organizations identified by our staff. We favor collaborative endeavors with the government and private sector. Priority is given to projects that leverage additional support and serve as a catalyst for progress in enhancing quality of life for the PD patient, as well as finding a cure.
Our priorities include clinical research, innovative research projects, and patient education. Past funding has included:
- Genetic and environmental causes of Parkinson’s disease;
- Biomarkers and better neuro-imaging and other screening tools;
- Neuro-restoration therapies such as stem cells and gene therapy as well as exercise;
- Therapeutic development, such as new drug candidates as well as improved techniques for Deep Brain Stimulation surgery;
- Ways to improve quality of life for speech, sleep apnea, gait and balance issues.
And we don’t stop there. We’re also dedicated to conducting our own patient-centered outcomes research to help improve the quality of life for people with Parkinson’s disease and their families.